Texas Southern University facilities – Recreation & Wellness
Texas Southern University ‘Recreation and Wellness program’ is to promote quality of healthy life styles. Students can take an active approach to build a strong body at the Texas Southern University Recreation & Wellness Center.
This outstanding state-of-the-art facility offers the outstanding fitness equipment and amenities, including an aquatics center, exercise studio, 3 full-court gymnasium, weight room and indoor running track. There is also a food court and lounging area complete with television.
Texas Southern University facilities:
This wonderful facility continues in TSU’s tradition of excellence in achievement. Its doors open the world of recreation, wellness and fitness designed just for you.
FITNESS CENTER & AEROBICS STUDIO
The mission of the Fitness Center at Texas Southern University is to assist its member in achieving a productive lifestyle and optimal health.
The Center boasts a complete array of exercise and resistance training equipment, including free weights for the serious enthusiast.
There is also a vast selection of Cardio equipment consisting of treadmills, stationary bikes, stair climbers and more.
The aerobics and dance studio is the home of a number of group exercise classes and campus organization practice session.
Fitness Center Rules
- Proper workout attire must be worn in fitness center. Boots may be worn in free weights area only. The following are NOT allowed
– SPORTS BRAS
– SHIRTS THAT DO NOT COVER TORSO
– CLOTHING WITH METAL BUTTONS OR ZIPPERS
– STUDS OR LOOPS
– OPEN TOE SHOES
- Dropping plates, dumbbells and weight stacks are prohibited
- There is a 20 mins time limit on equipment while other are waiting
- Report any problem with equipment to fitness staff. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE OR REPAIR
- All equipment is to be returned to the appropriate storage location after use
- Weights are NOT to be leaned against the walls, pillars or mirrors
- Personal belongings MUST be kept in appropriate storage locations. No personal belongings are allowed to be stored behind the fitness area.
- Spotters are highly recommended at all press stations in the free weight area.
- Users not familiar with equipment should seek assistance to avoid injury.
- No lounging or horseplay of any kind.
- Fitness staff has the authority to shut down any area within the fitness center that is deemed unsafe in order to make it safe for usage. (I.E. dumbbells over the floor)
- Only the fitness staff attendants are allowed to operate the television consoles.
- Schedule classes will have priority over usage
- No marking shoes required
- Studio door must be locked at all times
- The door will be opened to persons who have been given permission and who has filled out the “Permission to use Form” located at the fitness center counter and processed only by a fitness and wellness staff.
- The door will be opened for the “APPROVED USER”, an individual who must assume responsibility and ensure that the studio is locked once finish.
- The approved user CAN NOT transfer approval to another member.
- The studio must be reopened and re-secured by the fitness staff upon each approved user including the non-credit fitness class
- Special permission will be granted to utilize audio room, subject to management approval, there will be no access to the studio thirty minutes (30) before all fitness classes
FOOD COURT & LOUNGE AREA
Once you are complete with work out, stop by the “Cub’s Corner” for refreshing snack. This contemporary delicatessen offers sandwiches, salads, fruit and more. The Food Court features wireless INTERNET connections and lots of tables and chairs. The lounge area overlooks the pool and has a big screen television, plush seating and computers for your convenience.
GYMNASIUM & TRACK
The gymnasium houses three full multi-purpose courts used for pickup basketball, volleyball, indoor soccer and more.
It features a high tech sound system and eight basketball goals.
The indoor track is used for walking, running and jogging. It is 1/12 mile long and has stretching area for your convenience. Please see postings for track direction.
The TSU Natatorium is the only pool on campus. The 25-meter, 6-lane pool serves for academic as well as recreation purposes. It ranges from 4 to 14 feet and has two diving boards and 6 starting blocks.
The overall mission is to design and implement a variety of Aquatics programs that will enhance the health and well-being of life for its members.
Hours of Operation of the center
FALL AND SPRING SEMESTERS
Monday – Thursday
7:00am – 10:00pm
7:00am – 8:00pm
10:00am – 8:00pm
3:00pm – 8:00pm
Monday – Friday
7:00am – 6:00pm
12:00noon – 5:00pm
Hours are subject to change by university without notice, please update with university website.
Please also see postings for University holiday and semester break schedules.